The Latin phrase “quid pro quo” translates to “something for something”. This type of sexual harassment occurs when someone of authority in a workplace uses that authority to hint, offer or demand sexual actions in exchange for something else. While often easy to hide, it is no less damaging than any other form of sexual harassment.
There are three common situations you may find yourself in if being harassed this way. Each qualifies as an act of quid pro quo sexual harassment if these offers are made based on your willingness to comply with a sexual request.
- Offered a different, desired position or a promotion
- A reprimand or firing decision overlooked
- Hired for the position for which you’re applying and interviewing
Although there may not be objective witnesses to quid pro quo sexual harassment, there are certain requirements that must be met if legal action will be taken.
- The sexual advances were unwanted, whether verbal or physical.
- The person must have a managerial position within the company or have led you to believe that they do.
- The harassment caused harm, whether emotional or financial.
- The actions were accompanied by an expressed offer for something in exchange for the requested sexual act.
When taking legal action in a civil case such as this, there are several ways in which a sexual harassment victim could be compensated.
- If you have lost your job, you could get it back.
- The court may consider lost wages as well as lost benefits.
- If you were not hired for the position you had applied for because of quid pro quo harassment, compensation for lost employment opportunities may be possible.
- Some victims are awarded compensation due to emotional distress.
Sexual harassment claims start with reporting the event to the Georgia Department of Labor or the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). This report can be made on your behalf with the support of an experienced legal team that can help you through the entire process. To learn more about your options, call our Atlanta office today at (404) 751-4720 to schedule a consultation.
Posted on behalf of
5555 Glenridge Connector Suite 550
Atlanta, GA 30342
Phone: (404) 751-4720Mon.-Fri.: 9am-5pm